Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, September 09, 2011

Our testimony - Jadon is healed!

On 30th June 2008, my 2nd baby Jadon was born. Even though he was my 2nd baby, he meant alot more to me than my first. That's because I knew him before he came to me. In 2005 when I was expecting my first baby, I wrote 2 names in my pregnancy journal:

Girl - Jaimie
Boy - Jadon

My maternal instincts told me it was a boy but I was wrong! It turned out to be Jaimie. :)
So for the 2nd pregnancy, I knew it has to be Jadon this time, Jadon has to come and so I prayed for it. God granted me my desire and I was very happy and strongly felt like I knew Jadon way before.

As much as he was special to me, he also gave me the most pain - physical labor pain as well as emotional pain. After a 14 hour labour, his newborn checkup showed an elevated reading for his TSH (Thryoid Stimulating Hormones) which meant there was a possibility for Hypothyroidism. This sounded so alien to me since my first baby did not have a single health issue. My whole world came crashing down. I know there are many other health issues which are more serious but I just couldn't help but think "WHY ME?".

The doctor's explanation in layman's terms was - if it's not treated, he will become stupid, retarded and with poor growth.

With that explanation, my world really came crashing down. Everyday I just looked out for signs of retardation. Every little single movement he had would make me wonder and worry if it was normal. I just lost the enjoyment of a newborn.

on 29th July 2008, 1 month old Jadon started his daily Synthroid dosage after 2 retests which showed a rising trend in his TSH levels. We were told to take the medication daily without fail for 3 years because the first 3 years were the most crucial for brain and physical development.
When he turns 3 years old, he would be taken off the medication for 1 month and if his TSH reading came back normal, it means his case is transient and he would be able to quit the medicine. If not, it would mean his thyroid glands are unable to function and he would have to take the medicine for life.

Looking at my then 1 month old Jadon, "lifetime medication" seemed to me a very cruel word and even though I prayed for stength and faith, I had no peace and comfort at all. I couldn't totally let go. Whenever someone commented he was cute or tried to play with him, I had doubts in me, thinking they were noticing he has a sickness even though one with a thyroid disorder doesn't look abnormal in anyway. As he grew, he responded more and I gradually began to let go and was able to surrender all to God. I eventually had this thinking in my mind - whatever may come, the result is going to be good, he is going to be healed so why should I worry about what happens in between?

Over the 3 years, with the help of medication, his TSH levels were maintained low which meant his condition was stablised. I began to have more peace or rather I was not bothered by it anymore and became a little lazy in praying for his complete healing.

Jadon turned 3 on 30th June 2011 and we stopped the medication from 1st July to 29th July as planned. During this time, I came back close to God again because I started attending a Korean church where God's presence was greatly felt. My church leaders, pastors and myself began praying very diligently. We fasted for 1 week and met in prayers. We believed and declared in the name of Jesus that Jadon was healed.

29th July 2011, we went in to the doctor's for the results. Jadon's TSH levels were 6.8 without the medication. It was a rise compared to when he was under the medication (usually 2 or 3 points)and was not a good sign afterall. However our pediatric endocrinologist who had been seeing him since newborn days said that as long as it's not above 10, there is no need to go back to medication as yet. He suggested going 1 more month without the medicine to see if the reading drops. Needless to say, if it drops then we will be saying goodbye to the medicine. If it doesn't it means he will continue the medicine again.

I didn't have a bit of doubt or disappointment at all. I knew at once that it was all part of God's plan to bring me back closer to Him once again. This time, we fasted the whole month, prayed and believed and claimed victory for Jadon even harder. Coincidentally (actually not), the pastor's messages during this period was all about God's timing, waiting for God's timing, healing in God's timing! How appropriate!

29th August 2011, we went in the 2nd time. "It went up abit but...." where the doctor's words. I was scared abit but he was actually referring to the last time. As he mumbled that, he opened the file for this time's result. The graph showed a drop. It was 5.5 this time and I had prayed for a significant drop! My mind went blank for a moment and then I started tearing. I was just so thankful and overwhelmed by God's love and faithfulness at that moment.

As I think back now, I think I know why God didn't just let Jadon pass the first retests 3 years ago but yet "allowed" him to end up taking the medicine and breaking my heart. It was all part of God's plan to draw me closer back to Him. I don't think I would have sought God again if we didn't go through that difficult period. He even sent me to a church where His presence is so strongly felt because I always felt that God's presence can never be felt in Korean churches since it's not my language. Now I know I don't want to go back to where I was before. It is very good to be in God's presence all the time and indeed, God heals in His time.

Praise the Lord!

No comments: